Classic rocky road with a fun vegan nutella twist! Tender sweet dough is baked and then spread with lush chocolate hazelnut spread, sprinkled with chocolate chips, toasted hazelnuts and mini marshmallows. A few minutes under the broiler gets the vegan marshmallows melty and toasty for an easy and delicious dessert pizza!
This is a really fun dessert, perfect for sharing, playdates, and lazy evenings. The recipe can easily be doubled for two large pizzas. Kids love helping to put on the toppings and gobbling up this vegan treat!
What Kind of Crust to Use for Dessert Pizza
I modified the dough I use in my Apple Pie Cinnamon Roll recipe for this vegan rocky road (or smores) dessert pizza. It worked perfectly as a dessert pizza crust! It’s pillowy, soft, tender, and subtly sweet.
Perhaps the most classic dessert pizza is the cookie pizza. It has a sugar cookie crust with cream cheese frosting and fresh fruit on top. The sugar cookie base is delicious but is a bit too sweet for what I had in mind. A pizza covered in chocolate and marshmallows is already pretty sweet. Regular pizza dough, either homemade or store-bought, would be great for this recipe, but I wanted it just a little more tender. The cinnamon roll dough was definitely the right choice for this vegan dessert!
What Toppings To Put on a Dessert Pizza
This vegan rocky road dessert pizza has a twist on the usual rocky road flavor. Rocky road ingredients usually include chocolate, walnuts and marshmallows. I used vegan nutella instead of plain chocolate for the pizza sauce. Instead of walnuts, I used hazelnuts. The kids wouldn’t let me forget the chocolate chips and vegan mini marshmallows on top! While not a typical rocky road ingredient, raspberries add a pop of color and some tart contrast to the other sweet toppings.
Hungry for More? Check out these other Vegan Chocolate Desserts!
Join Our Vegan Pizza Party!
As part of National Pizza Day, I’m celebrating with a few of my fellow food creatives:
“An easy homemade gluten-free, grain-free, vegan naan crust topped with whipped vegan cheese, fresh strawberries, blackberries, caramelized red onion, and basil then drizzled with balsamic vinegar for an easy, flavorful, summer-inspired pizza night!“
“If you’re looking for a vegan pizza recipe that’s simple to make and oh-so-delicious, you’re in the right place! This Vegan Margherita Pizza is made with a healthy, homemade whole-wheat crust, and topped with vegan mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil. The classics never go out of style! There’s a reason they’re called classics, after all.“
“You’ll be surprised at how easily this Gluten-Free Vegan Pizza with Mushrooms & Onions comes together! It is made with my new favorite gluten-free pizza crust and topped off with tomato sauce, homemade vegan mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, onions, and fresh basil. Perfect for pizza night!“
“This vegan cauliflower pizza crust is made with just 7 ingredients. It’s crispy and golden, gluten-free and oil-free. Smothered with a simple pizza sauce and topped with homemade vegan mozzarella cheese. All-in-all it’s a warm, savoury, and comforting recipe. Perfect for Friday pizza night.“
This gluten free pizza is loaded with wild blueberries, cheese and drizzled with balsamic reduction for just the right amount of sweet and tang! Blueberry balsamic cheese pizza is perfect for lunch or pizza night! Use your favorite plant-based cheese to make it vegan!
If you make this Vegan Rocky Road Dessert Pizza, please give it a rating in the recipe card and leave a comment below! Follow along on Instagram where you can tag me in your creations using my recipes. I love seeing what you’re cooking! You can also follow me on Pinterest for vegan recipe inspiration. Thank you for reading!
Vegan Rocky Road Dessert Pizza
For the Sweet Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups plant-based milk (e.g. soy)
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Toppings:
- 1/2 cup vegan nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread) plus more warmed for drizzling
- 1/3 cup vegan semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegan mini marshmallows
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, optional
For the Sweet Dough:
- In a small saucepan over low heat, bring the plant milk and coconut oil to 110-115°F (if it gets too hot, let the temperature come down or it will kill the yeast.) Add the yeast to proof for 10 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a large bowl with a wooden spoon or in the bowl of a stand-mixer with a dough hook attachment, mix the flour, sugar, and salt together. Slowly stream in the warm plant milk and oil mixture. If using a stand mixer, run it on a medium-low setting for about 8 minutes. If doing it by hand, remove the dough from the bowl and on a lightly oiled surface with oiled hands (keep a little dish of oil handy), knead it for about 10 minutes. Add extra flour a tablespoon at a time if the dough is very sticky. Don't add much extra flour – we want the dough to be soft and tacky. Wash out the bowl and grease it with coconut oil. Form the dough into a ball, place it in the bowl and turn it over so both sides are oiled. Lightly cover and let it rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until roughly doubled in size..
- Grease a 12" round baking pan. Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- On a lightly oiled surface, roll the dough out into a 12" circle. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, reshaping the dough to fit the pan. Press indentations into the dough with your fingertips, leaving a 1" border smooth. Cover lightly and place in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pizza base, place it in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven.
- Spread the vegan nutella over the top, leaving the 1" border untouched. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, hazelnuts and vegan marshmallows. Return to oven, turning the broiler to high. Broil for 1-3 minutes depending on the oven, just until the marshmallows start to puff and brown. They will burn very easily, so keep an eye on them. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with raspberries if using and drizzle with warmed vegan nutella if desired. Enjoy!
The Nutrition Information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the Nutrition Information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed.
Post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I may make a very small percentage in commission on qualifying purchases. There’s never any extra cost to you, and I only link to products I actually use and enjoy. Thank you for your support!