Get Sunday morning started nice and easy with some delicious vegan Snickerdoodle Banana Muffins! They have just the right amount of banana and cinnamon flavors, are tender and moist with a fun, lightly crisp cinnamon sugar top!
I’ve been in a banana recipe testing frenzy after ordering 10 pounds of imperfect bananas and these muffins are my family’s favorite so far. They make a nice breakfast with a side of fruit and coconut yogurt, and are a great pick me up for an afternoon snack. The moist crumb and light banana flavor marries so well with the crisp cinnamon sugar top. I’ve been working on a loaf version of this recipe, but have loved it most in muffin form because of the greater surface area for maximum cinnamon crunch!
Snickerdoodle Banana Muffins
For the topping:
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3-4 very ripe bananas (mash down to about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (e.g. avocado or canola)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffins tins with paper liners or oil.
- In a small bowl, blend the 3 tbsp of white sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda together. Whisk until well blended.
- In a large bowl with a fork or in a bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, blend the bananas, plant milk, oil, brown sugar, vinegar and vanilla extract. Mix until very well blended and no big chunks of banana pieces remain.
- Add the dry mixture to the banana mixture and mix together just until blended but do not over-mix. Using a large ice cream scoop or a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop the batter into the muffin tins. Fill each one about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Sprinkle each muffin with the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before eating. Store in an air-tight container.