On the table before delivery can be at your place, this Cherry Tomato Pasta is super flavorful with lots of garlic and fresh basil.The tomatoes cook just until they start to burst, releasing some of their juices, contributing freshness to a simple yet super tasty sauce. The beans add loads of nutrition plus a bit of creaminess and texture.
I love how easy this meal is with so few ingredients, and that it comes together in 15-20 minutes. Perfect for a last-minute weeknight meal, but elegant enough for a main at a dinner party.
When you’re cooking your tomatoes, the time will depend on how thick the skins are. Heirloom cherry tomatoes have a much thinner skin and so they cook faster. You don’t want the tomatoes to cook right through because they will end up deflated skins. The goal is to catch the tomatoes just as they are starting to burst, where the skins have split and some of the juices are making their way out but the skins are still holding onto some of their juice. The key is to keep an eye on them while they are cooking. The few minutes spent stirring pretty tomatoes around is well worth the (minimal!) effort in having a fuss-free, tasty and pretty dinner.
Cherry Tomato Pasta
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes (approx 2 lbs)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed dried chili flakes
- 14 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, sliced into strips
- Get your pasta cooking using package directions. Don’t forget to keep 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the cherry tomatoes and cook them, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or JUST until they start to burst. If you use a thinner skin cherry tomato like heirlooms, this will happen much faster than for thicker skinned varieties.
- Add in the garlic, chili flakes, salt, white beans and reserved pasta water. Stir to combine. Toss with the pasta noodles and basil leaves. Serve immediately with extra crushed chili flakes and nutritional yeast, if desired.