A few pantry staples and just 15 minutes are all you need get this really tasty, comforting dinner on the table. Toasty breadcrumbs are infused with garlic and olive oil then tossed with quick sautéed Brussels sprouts and al dente pasta. This dish is possibly even better the next day, so bring this to work or school for leftovers you can look forward to!
This is a my new favorite lazy meal. It comes together in a breeze and requires no tedious chopping if you have a shred blade on your food processor and buy pre-minced garlic. And while we’re on the topic, if you’ve never bought pre-minced garlic, you might want to look into doing so. I cook with garlic *a lot*, but peeling and mincing it has to be my least favorite things to do in the kitchen. The bottled minced variety I use is raw and just as yummy as fresh cloves! So unless I need garlic for roasting, I don’t plan on buying whole garlic ever again. Hurray for small joys!
I had considered doing this recipe with roasted Brussels sprouts but I really wanted to embrace the quick and simple meal. Roasting veggies is indeed easy, but it does take longer than sautéing. Have the heat on pretty high, and the shredded Brussels sprouts get a nice combination of tender and crisp/caramelized. I love how they mingle with the noodles in this dish instead of having big bites of Brussels sprouts. You might even be able to convert any unassuming Brussels sprouts naysayers in your life into Brussels sprouts lovers!
I chose panko breadcrumbs for this recipe because I love how crisp they are. They don’t get lost in the pasta. Instead, they coat the strands of spaghetti for a nice little bit of texture with each bite. Panko also hold the flavor of the olive oil and garlic beautifully.
For some acidity I added lemon juice which brings some freshness and balance. The nutritional yeast provides some umami but if you prefer to use a vegan Parmesan, that would do the trick, too! I like a lot of ground black pepper in this meal, but add it at the end according to your taste.
If you make this quick and easy Garlicky Breadcrumb Pasta with Shredded Brussels Sprouts, please let me know in the comments below and give it a rating in the recipe card! Also, I love connecting on Instagram where you can tag me in your creations using my recipes. Thank you for reading along!
15 Minute Garlicky Breadcrumb Pasta with Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- ½ lb spaghetti
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (or vegan Parmesan)
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- In a large cast iron pan or skillet, warm 1/3 cup of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the panko breadcrumbs, minced garlic, and salt stirring frequently until the breadcrumbs start to brown slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Place the garlicky crumbs in a bowl and add in the nutritional yeast.
- Return the skillet to the stove, and increase the heat to medium-high. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until they are a mixture of brightened and slightly caramelized in places. Turn heat off.
- Combine the drained pasta and lemon juice with the Brussels sprouts in the skillet. Add in the garlicky breadcrumb mixture. Toss to coat. Add more salt and pepper to taste.