Here are some Triple Chocolate Baked Donuts to get your weekend started properly! So yes, you can count me in for a seat on National Donut Day band wagon! I don’t take these food holidays too seriously, but they are fun prompts to make yummy foods.
I have a few silicone donut molds which I’d bought to make donuts for the farmer’s market last summer. The molds have been great, and the donuts don’t stick when removed as long as they are lightly coated with some cooking spray. The nice thing about baked donuts is they aren’t deep fried which is a healthier option when you want to indulge but not have a dozen deep fried sweeties in the house. These donuts are actually pretty low in fat if that’s a concern, but they certainly don’t taste like it!
I really like adding in some melted chocolate to chocolate donut batter. I don’t find the cocoa powder gives it enough richness on its own, and the espresso powder takes it all to the next level. Coffee really enhances the flavor of chocolate and the 2 teaspoons in the whole batch likely isn’t enough to give anyone a caffeine buzz, but if you are looking to avoid it, the donuts will be delicious without it.
The glaze is a simple one which comes together quickly in the microwave. Just make sure to stir it between each 25 second burst as chocolate burns and seizes very quickly.
Sprinkle these yum bombs with whatever you please – I used some classic nonpareil sprinkles, but crushed peanuts, coarse salt, cocoa nibs etc would all be delicious!
Triple Chocolate Baked Donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup neutral oil (e.g. avocado or canola)
- 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tsp instant coffee or espresso powder
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-milk, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chopped chocolate, or chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp neutral vegetable oil (e.g. avocado or canola)
- 2 tsp plant-based milk
- 2 tsp corn syrup
For the Donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a donut baking tray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to blend.
- In a microwave safe medium bowl (or 500 ml measuring cup), combine the oil and chopped chocolate. Microwave for 25 second bursts, stirring well each time just until the chocolate is melted. Keep an eye on it as chocolate burns and seizes very easily.
- Mix in the plant-based milk, vinegar, vanilla and instant coffee/espresso powder if using. Whisk well until the coffee/espresso is dissolved. Pour into the dry ingredients and, mixing with a spatula or large spoon, mix until just blended taking care not to over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into a large piping bag or large zip-lock bag (cutting a corner out once filled and closed), and pipe the batter into the donut cavities. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before inverting on a cooling rack and dipping in the ganache.
For the Chocolate Ganache Glaze:
- Combine the ingredients for the ganache in a medium-sized microwavable bowl. Microwave in 25 second increments, stirring well each time, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Dip each donut into the glaze. Keep in an airtight container.