Classic hummus gets a twist by adding roasted pumpkin seeds instead of tahini! Blended until smooth, this nutritious dip is perfect for dipping, slathering on sandwiches and wraps, and adding to your favorite Buddha bowl!
This recipe was actually born out of a need to use up roasted pumpkin seeds we’d accidentally bought 2 huge bags of. While we love using pumpkin seeds as a crunchy garnish on salads and curries, I clearly needed to figure out other ways of using them up!
I’ve used cashews as a base in hummus in the past with awesome results, so why not try pumpkin seeds? They are nutrition power houses and have a really nice warm, nutty flavor when roasted. Sounds pretty yummy as a hummus addition! Indeed, after recipe testing, we had a delicious new dip to add to our list of favorites! The kids especially love this one!
Tips for Perfect Roasted Pumpkin Seed Hummus:
- roasting the pumpkin seeds lends a lovely nutty flavor to this hummus. I used already roasted pumpkins seeds from the store, but if you only have raw pumpkin seeds on hand, you can roast them pretty quick at home. Toss a cup of them with a teaspoon of olive oil and roast in the oven preheated to 350°F for 12-20 minutes. Toss them occasionally every 5 minutes and keep a close eye on them. They go from roasty to burnt very quickly!
- blend the pumpkin seeds until they are a smooth butter. Also called, pepitas, these seeds are quite fibrous. If they aren’t blended until smooth, the hummus won’t be smooth either.
- make sure your pumpkin seeds are within their best before date – once they pass that date, especially if they haven’t been stored in the fridge, their oils will become rancid. Not only are rancid oils unhealthy for eating, they don’t taste good.
- if you like a little smokiness and heat in your hummus, you may really enjoy the addition of the smoked paprika. Otherwise, the hummus is perfect without it, too!
If you make this Roasted Pumpkin Seed Hummus, please let me know in the comments below and feel free to give it a rating! Also, I love connecting on Instagram where you can tag me in your creations using my recipes. I love seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen! Thanks for reading along and I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Roasted Pumpkin Seed Hummus
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, optional
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Place the roasted pumpkin seeds in a food processor and blitz until they form a paste, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides, as needed.
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, salt and smoked paprika (if using). Blend until the chickpeas are broken up. With the food processor still on, slowly stream in the oil. Blend until smooth. If desired, blend in water (1 tbsp of water at a time) if you prefer a thinner hummus.