Greek inspired flavors marry in this easy to make (and easy to clean up after) plant-based meal. And who knew that the most perfectly cooked rice is done in the oven? It’s deeply infused with roasted lemon, garlic, oregano, dill, and sun dried tomatoes. Chickpeas, spinach, cherry tomatoes and olives add extra nutrition and bursts of color.
There’s lots to be excited about here: The colors! The Greek flavors! It’s pretty! One skillet! Clean up is a breeze! But, I’m actually just so excited about the rice. The reason is because it cooks so perfectly in the oven! Zero sogginess, mush or burnt rice on the bottom. Just perfectly cooked rice every time that has soaked up all the awesome flavors. Plus there’s the odd crispy bit that forms on the sides of the pan which I’ll fight you for! Kidding, that’s not very hospitable of me, but seriously those bits are gold!
This dish is really good the next day, too. I’m not sure when I was last so excited about leftovers!
The whole process is pretty quick. In a large skillet, we sauté the aromatics, deglaze with the a touch of wine then add in most of the ingredients. Cover the skillet up and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes. Once it’s baked, we add olives, spinach and cherry tomatoes and dinner is served! So delicious, made with such simple ingredients and pretty nutritious, too!
If you make this quick and easy One-Skillet Greek Baked Lemon Chickpeas and Rice, be sure to let me know in the comments below and give it a rating in the recipe card! Also, I love connecting on Instagram where you can tag me in your creations using my recipes. Thank you for reading along!
One-Skillet Baked Greek Lemon Chickpeas and Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, oil packed, sliced or diced
- 1 tbsp oil from oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large lemon, sliced and seeded
- 2 ¼ cups vegetable stock, boiling
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- salt, pepper and chili flakes, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium, heat the olive oil. Add the diced onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano. Cook for another minute, then deglaze with the white wine. Cook for another minute until the wine has reduced but things still aren’t starting to stick to the pan.
- Stir in the rice, stirring to coat. Add the chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, oil from the tomatoes, dill, and salt. Mix well. Carefully pour the hot stock over the mixture and gently mix. Wedge the lemon slices into the mixture. Cover tightly with tin foil, and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Carefully remove the foil, and stir in the spinach, olives and cherry tomatoes (or serve them over the top). Let sit for 5 minutes so the spinach wilts. Salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste.