These waffles are pillowy soft inside, crisp on the outside and are lightly coated in cinnamon sugar. Served with chocolate sauce and whipped coconut cream, these waffles make for a special breakfast or, with coconut ice cream, a dreamy dessert!
When I was a kid, one of my favorite snacks my mom would make us occasionally was cinnamon sugar toast. It’s really that simple, buttered toast with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. These waffles remind me a lot of that childhood treat. So why aren’t these waffles called Cinnamon Sugar Toast waffles, you might ask? Well, I figured it might be confusing and it’s a bit of a mouthful plus Churro waffles are well-known, so I aptly named these vegan ones as such. What childhood snacks do you remember fondly?
The recipe for the waffles is versatile and makes for a delicious and simple waffle. The cornstarch is the secret star here, contributing to the light crisp exterior and a soft interior. The key is to add just the 1 tablespoon because if you add anymore than that, the waffles get a bit tough. The one tablespoon makes for perfection.
I drizzled chocolate syrup on these and it was pretty amazing, especially with the whipped coconut cream. Other toppings that would be yummy would be maple syrup, fresh fruit, berry sauce or perhaps melted chocolate hazelnut spread! So many possibilities…
If you try this recipe, be sure to let me know in the comments below and give it a rating in the recipe card! I love connecting on Instagram where you can tag me in your creations using my recipes. You can follow along with me on Pinterest and Facebook. Thank you for reading along!
No matter how you top yours, I hope you enjoy these Churro Waffles. Thanks for reading!
Vegan Churro Waffles
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 4 tbsp neutral vegetable oil (e.g. avocado, canola, etc)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat your waffle iron.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the plant-based milk, vinegar, oil and vanilla. In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and whisk just until blended. Don’t over-mix, some lumps are fine. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the vegan butter in a small bowl. In a separate wide bowl, mix the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook the waffles according to the manufacturer’s instruction, spraying the waffle iron with oil before each waffle.
- Brush each waffle all over with the melted vegan butter, and lightly dust with the cinnamon sugar, shaking out the excess.
Never Miss a Recipe!