Fluffy and delicious with light tones of cinnamon and vanilla, and studded with chocolate chips, these pancakes are perfect for breakfast or breakfast for supper!
Coming up with a chocolate chip pancake recipe was actually my daughter’s idea. I’m really enjoying her 5-year-old perspective on cooking; it’s so fun to do these little collaborations with her! She gets so excited and proud when we take one of her ideas and bring it to life together in the kitchen. This time, she was inspired by some pancakes she’d seen in a Fancy Nancy book and if you don’t know who Fancy Nancy is, do yourself a favor and check out her books because that chick is most definitely living her best life and serves as inspiration to make every day moments special.
I used a bit of cinnamon in this recipe which you could omit if cinnamon isn’t your thing. If you do like cinnamon, the amount I used is modest so you’re getting just a hint of cinnamon, so it’s not overpowering at all. You can clearly taste the chocolate and vanilla without any competition from the cinnamon.
If 12 pancakes are too much for you, these freeze really well. I often make big batches of pancakes and stack them with a small piece of parchment paper between each pancake then slide the stack into a zip-lock bag and then into the freezer. When you want a pancake, just pull one out of the freezer and plop it into your toaster. This is a great option for mornings when you don’t have much time or don’t want to start your day with a few dishes.
If you make these pancakes, let me know how you like them! I always love hearing from you and seeing what you come up with when you try my recipes. Let me know in the comments section below or tag me, @crumbs.and.caramel, on Instagram!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups plant-based milk of choice
- 3 tbsp neutral oil (e.g. avocado, canola etc)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or distilled white vinegar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine and stir the plant-based milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. In a large bowl, sift in the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the liquid ingredients in, stirring just until almost combined, taking care not to over stir or your pancakes will be rubbery. Some lumps are fine.
- Heat a lightly greased non-stick pan over medium heat, or an electric griddle set to 380°F. Add the batter by 1/4-1/3 cupfuls. Cook for 3 minutes or until bubbles barely break the surface; flip the pancakes and cook another 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush the pan or griddle with a light amount of oil between each batch.