This vegan Triple Chocolate Banana Bread is tender, chocolaty, comforting and has the perfect amount of banana flavor. There’s really no *wrong* time to have it either. It’s not too outrageous to reach for a slice at breakfast, but it’s pretty amazing warm with a scoop of coconut ice cream for dessert. A dressed up banana bread, it’s one of my favorite ways to use up over-ripened bananas!
This recipe can be used to make one 9×5″ standard loaf, or you can make 12 muffins instead. Top with sliced bananas or extra chocolate chips depending on what you’re in the mood for!
Tips for Perfect Triple Chocolate Banana Bread/Muffins:
- use very ripe, soft bananas for a moist loaf. Bananas that are barely ripe or just ripe are firmer so they don’t blend into the batter as well. They are also less sweet and can lend a bitterness to the final product. Freezing bananas that are over-ripe is great for times you aren’t ready to bake but don’t want to waste the bananas. The bananas can be frozen with the skins on, and then thawed before using.
- use white vinegar. It’s added to the non-dairy milk to create a faux-buttermilk. This provides a subtle richness to the banana bread, helps to form a tender crumb and helps with leavening.
- don’t over-mix the batter. Combine the wet and dry ingredients just until blended. Over-mixing can cause a tougher loaf or muffin because the gluten over develops.
- use a good quality dairy-free chocolate chips that taste good on their own. Some chocolate chips are waxy and lacking chocolate flavor. If they don’t taste good going into the batter, they probably won’t taste good baked either! Check labels, not all chocolate chips that are vegan are labelled “vegan” but are “accidentally” vegan. That said, not all chocolate chips that aren’t labeled as “milk” chocolate are vegan.
- sift your dry ingredients before measuring. This increases accuracy of your measurements but also prevents any dry lumps in the loaf or muffins once they are baked.
If you make this triple chocolate banana loaf or muffins, let me know in the comments below, and feel free to give it a rating! Also, I love connecting on Instagram where you can tag me in your creations using my recipes. I love seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 large, ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup neutral oil (e.g. avocado or canola)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with parchment paper, and lightly grease.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Stir in the plant-based milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until well blended. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix just until the flour is almost blended. Add one cup of the chocolate chips. Stir until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few cooked crumbs stuck to it (keep in mind you may hit a melted chocolate chip so you may have to test a couple of spots.) Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before turning out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool.