This is an Easter Bunny approved Vegan Carrot Spice Loaf with Maple Glaze. A lovely moist carrot loaf made fragrant with warm spices, and a bit indulgent with a smooth maple glaze.
I’m not sure why carrot cake always come to mind when I think about Spring time baking. My mom’s birthday falls quite close to Easter and decided that because we would be having birthday cake for her that we didn’t need a carrot cake, too. Carrot loaf seemed more appropriate as we could enjoy a slice at breakfast and pretend it’s not cake.
I’m really happy how this turned out, it’s lovely and moist with a nice light crumb. The spices are warming and comforting, filling the house with amazing aroma while it bakes. The maple glaze tops it off with a smooth finish that compliments the loaf perfectly. That said, this loaf is delicious on its own if you’re looking to keep things a little less indulgent.
Tips for a Perfect Carrot Spice Loaf:
• I’ve tested this recipe with both coconut oil, and a liquid neutral oil (e.g. avocado oil.) Both work really well. The coconut lends a somewhat denser feel which is nice for a loaf, but my favorite is made with liquid oil.
• This loaf can be made with or without additions like raisins, currents, or chopped nuts. Use whatever you love most!
• Alterations such as reducing the sugar or oil will have an effect on the loaf. These ingredients are critical for a nice crumb and moist texture.
• A dark maple syrup is best for the glaze. While darker maple syrups are often considered to be a lower grade, they actually have the most color and flavor! Even though they are the premium grades, I much prefer them! So does your wallet 😉
• The glaze can be made with vegan butter for a slightly fuller flavor. The coconut oil option is delicious, too. Use whatever you have on hand or prefer, you can’t go wrong with either!
If you make this Vegan Carrot Spice Loaf with Maple Glaze, please let me know in the comments below and feel free to give it a rating! Also, I love connecting on Instagram where you can tag me in your creations using my recipes. Thanks for reading along and I hope you love this recipe!
Vegan Carrot Spice Loaf with Maple Glaze
For the Carrot Spice Loaf
- ½ cup coconut oil (refined if you don’t want coconut flavor)
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups grated carrots
- ¾ cups raisins (optional) (or chopped walnuts or pecans)
For the Maple Glaze:
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (refined if you don’t want coconut flavor)
- ½ cup dark maple syrup
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly grease.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil. Turn off the heat and whisk in the plant milk, vinegar and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift in the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Whisk until well blended. Pour in the liquid ingredients, and combine with a large spoon just until the dry ingredients are barely wet. Add in the carrots and raisins or nuts (if using). Fold in just until combined being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-75 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean or with only a few cooked crumbs. Let the loaf cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan and placing on a cooling rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
For the Glaze:
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat taking care not to let it get hot. Remove from heat and whisk in the maple syrup and confectioner’s sugar until no lumps remain. Pour over the cooled loaf.