A lightly curried, silky soup brimming with nutrition and is ready in less than 20 minutes! This is a great way to sneak in some iron rich lentils – be sure to use red ones which soften during cooking and create a creamy texture once blended.
I usually like to have lots of tips and tricks for you guys, but this is one of those recipes which truly is so easy and no-fail. One thing I must say is to be sure to use red lentils. Red lentils are unlike other lentil types in that they are smaller and are such a pretty orange color. Because they are smaller, they cook very fast and blend really well. Larger lentils tend to create a pasty texture in soup once blended, unlike the red ones which go largely unnoticed. (Parents with small kids leery of lentils, I’m winking at you.) And it goes without saying that if you don’t use red lentils, the soup won’t be this pretty orange. It’ll likely be a murky army green. Red is the way to go!
I use a lot of ginger in this recipe because we love it so much and it has such a fresh flavor. The curry isn’t overpowering so the delicate, sweet taste of the carrots isn’t lost. Combined with the lemon added at the end, it’s a really good sniffle soup. It’s easy to digest, and brimming with nutrition!
If you make this Creamy Curried Carrot, Ginger and Red Lentil Soup, please let me know in the comments below and give it a rating in the recipe card! Also, I love connecting on Instagram where you can tag me in your creations using my recipes. Thank you for reading along!
Creamy Curried Carrot, Ginger and Red Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 6 cups vegan soup stock
- 1.5 lbs carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup split red lentils (200g)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic, ginger and curry powder. Stir for briefly, until fragrant.
- Pour in soup stock, scraping the bottom of the pot. Add in the carrots and lentils. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Remove from heat. Stir in the coconut milk and lemon juice.
- Blend in batches if using a stand blender, or use an immersion blender. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with a swirl of coconut milk or a dollop of unsweetened vegan yogurt. Enjoy!